Monday, February 1, 2010

The MMA start.

Everyone gets into MMA for a different reason. Some do it for the competition, the excitement or even some demonic urge to hurt others. I have seen all the reasons and at the very least sparred against each type or motivation of fighters I have encountered. Although I enjoy any opponent who is willing to get into the cage with me, especially any who is willing to pay or sponsor a fight, each start and back ground has its own merit.

I started MMA on a fluke to be completely honest. Started with Boxing, then Krav Maga, then Oyama Karate, and I went up against a few MMA trained fighters, who had a huge advantage over me. In a singular mode of combat, you can learn the style and just become the best at it and win. The problem is currently most sports dont have a lot of fighters who are naturally skilled enough to have a good league. Boxing is the perfect example. A few amazing fighters every few generations is all we get now. MMA was different. I could be the best Boxer in the world, but lose to a kid who put half the time in but know a few holds and the error of my stance. Its a cold day in hell when you train eight hours a day, enter a boxing ring and before the bell rings you get taken to the ground on sucker punched in a position you cant get out of.

After not being able to hold my own against such men, I started to widen my scope into Jeet Kune Do, and began to win against amazing fighters. Not just your normal MMA fighter, but guys who had years in and were in better shape than I was. At such a level of competition you must be your best every day or you will lose. And I for one loved it.

This is not for everyone. Fighting at a deeper level, in my opinion, should be earned. I became great at my individual styles before I got into any serious bouts with MMA fighters. In todays day and age of fighters, no one else takes such an approach. The standard "MMA" branding of gyms which teens dive into gives them the basics and are generic over skill building. It may produce some good fighters, but this 'McDojo' mind set does not breed champions. It produces athletes who can put you into a basic hold, but not go five rounds with a south paw who trains on a 200 lb bag bare handed. Its just not the same. Thats the wrong start from my experience. Many may like the surge of McDojo's and such fighters but I hate it. I want fighters with a solid MMA foundation, and a better start to the world of combat.

No comments:

Post a Comment